The Federal Judicial Service Commission is one of the 14 Federal Executive Bodies established by Section 153 (1) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended.
Paragraph 12 part 1 of the third schedule to the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended, stipulates the composition of Federal Judicial Service Commission as follows:
The Federal Judicial Service Commission shall comprise the following members:
1.The Chief Justice of Nigeria, who shall be the Chairman;
2. The President of the Court of Appeal;
3. The Attorney-General of the Federation;
4. The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court;
5. The President of the National Industrial Court;
6. Two persons, each of whom has been qualified to practice as a Legal Practitioners in Nigeria for a period of not less than fifteen years, from a list of not less than four persons so qualified and recommended by the Nigerian Bar Association; and
7. Two other persons, not being Legal Practitioners, who in the opinion of the President are of unquestionable integrity.
The Functions of the Commission are clearly spelt out in paragraph 13 part 1 of the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended, which stipulates that the Federal Judicial Service Commission has power to:
a). Advise the National Judicial Council in nominating persons for appointments to the office of :
- The Chief Justice of Nigeria,
- A Justice of the Supreme Court,
- The President of the Court of Appeal,
- A Justice of the Court of Appeal,
- The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court,
- A Judge of the Federal High Court,
- The President of the National Industrial Court;
- A judge of the National Industrial Court; and
- the Chairman and Members of the Code of Conduct Tribunal,
b). Recommend to the National Judicial Council the removal of any of the Judicial Officers mentioned in sub-paragraph (a) above
c). Appoint, dismiss and exercise disciplinary control over the Chief Registrars and Deputy Chief Registrars of the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal, the Federal High Court, the National Industrial Court and all other members of the staff of the Judicial Service of the Federation not otherwise specified in this Constitution and of the Federal Judicial Service Commission.